nfs-utils update status

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Wed Feb 16 02:16:44 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 10:54:18AM -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> - it's my opinion that debian and ubuntu need the new version sooner
> rather than later. I'm actively working on bringing it into ubuntu,
> based on the exp package from debian. My branch is currently at [10],
> with a PPA at [11]. The delta we had was basically zeroed, due to a
> combination of upstream changes and debian changes.

> - we need a plan for an upgrade path. Some choices:
>   1 - do nothing but release notes

>   2 - detect if /etc/default/nfs-* have changes, and warn in that case,
> asking the user to move the changes over to /etc/nfs.conf

>   3 - to help with above, also ship fedora's script and let the user
> know it exists and could be used. Maybe even run it and place the
> output somewhere temporary for analysis

>   4 - actually run fedora's conversion script in postinst, and let the
> user know it was done and ask them to double check

As a user, I'd definitely like option 3 better than 1 or 2.

nfsconvert.py looks like it has ample error checking, so presumably if
you went with option 4, any failures will be detectable and the upgrade
could fallback to option 3.

If you do go with option 4, it may be wise to make sure nfs-util's
apport hook can capture that script's output on failure, and capture
both the old and new config files.

Bryce