Wednesday bug triage report (2022-08-23)

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Fri Aug 26 00:35:18 UTC 2022

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 10:45:10AM -0300, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
> Bugs last updated on 2022-08-23 (Tuesday)
> Date range identified as: "Wednesday triage"
> Found 26 bugs
>
> Some of them are being taken care of, some others expired due to lack of
> responsiveness from reporters after being set to incomplete.
>
> These are the ones worh mentioning here:
>
> https://pad.lv/1986749 - +(Incomplete)    [php8.1]            - package libapache2-mod-php8.1 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.2 failed to in…
> https://pad.lv/1979303 - (Expired)        [php7.4]            - package libapache2-mod-php7.4 7.4.3-4ubuntu2.10 failed to i…
>   While there may be not enough data here, I am wondering if these relates to
>   Bryce's work on the PHP upgrade paths somehow. I could not find evidence in
>   LP: #1890263 for relating those though. Moreover, the mentioned work was
>   applied to one of those packages and not to the other. Still worth mentioning
>   this one here so we are aware of future duplications, so we can keep asking
>   reporters for more information.
>   I moved the expired one back to incomplete and asked both for their apache2
>   logs, which may contain additional information to debug these issues.

The php7.4 bug's DpkgTerminalLog.txt shows the user has both nginx and
apache2 installed, as Sergio already noted.  Perhaps they're configured
to use the same port, and since apache2 starts second it fails to start
up?  I don't think this one has to do with the PHP upgrade paths.

For the other bug, looking at DpkgHistoryLog.txt the user installed
filezilla using packagekit (via Software Updater presumably), and then
started hitting some (unreported) error.  They tried using
`apt --fix-broken install` a bunch of times, then did `apt autoremove`
that uninstalled a bunch of packages including libapache2-mod-php7.4.
Following that, the user then purged apache2 and apt remove apache2*.
The next day, they tried upgrading their system, re-installed apache2,
and found at that point that modphp errored on installation.  The
triaging has been correctly done - we're missing the error info needed
to see why modphp failed - however I think this person's system was in
an inconsistent state, so it may be hard to boil this down to an
actionable fix.