Wednesday Triage Report (2021-02-17)

Sergio Durigan Junior sergio.durigan at canonical.com
Wed Feb 17 18:35:09 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, February 17 2021, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:02:51PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>> ustriage found 15 bugs.  These are the noteworthy ones:
>>
>> ### https://pad.lv/1915674 - (New) [samba] - Sharing folder in Files:
>>     net usershare returned error 255
>>
>> There has been some movement in the bug before, but I decided to attempt
>> to reproduce it locally and failed.  I asked for more info.
>>

>> ### https://pad.lv/1915811 - (New) [libvirt] - Empty NUMA topology in
>>     machines with high number of CPUs
>>
>> Subscribed Christian to it and pinged him on MM.
>>

>> ### https://pad.lv/1915826 - (New) [apache2] - package apache2
>>     2.4.41-4ubuntu3.1 failed to install/upgrade: installed apache2 package
>>     post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
>>
>> Incomplete; need more info.
>
> Try this to repro:
>
>   434  ls /usr/share/apache2/default-site/index.html
>   435  sudo apt-get install apache2
>   436  ls /usr/share/apache2/default-site/index.html
>   437  sudo rm -rf /usr/share/apache2/default-site/
>   438  sudo apt-get purge apache2
>   439  ls /usr/share/apache2/default-site/index.html
>   440  sudo apt-get install apache2
>
> cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/apache2/default-site/index.html': No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing package apache2 (--configure):
>  installed apache2 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

Ah, good one.  I was able to reproduce it indeed.  I marked the bug as
Triaged and commented on it providing this (possible) reproducer.

> Can't say for certain if this is what the reporter did to arrive at this
> error, but I ran across this pattern with samba on LP: 1886114.  I have
> a suspicion this pattern may explain a lot of the weirder apt-get install bugs
> being reported by apport.
>
> Workaround that seems to work (albeit kinda brute force):
>
>   $ sudo apt-get purge apache2*
>   $ sudo apt-get install apache2

When we have time (TM), we should take a look at these postinst
scripts...

> Btw, apache2's LP: #1910096 looks like it could possibly be a dupe.  At least, the
> log shows the same errors.

Indeed.  I will mark it as a duplicate.  It looks exactly the same.

Thanks again,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14