Merge Opportunities Report - 2020-10-19

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Wed Oct 21 01:48:07 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 08:03:43AM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
>    On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:08 PM Bryce Harrington
>    <[1]bryce.harrington at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>      New Version in Debian Unstable
>      --------------------------------------------------------------------
>      ------------------------------
>      low   jq                               1.6-2      1.6-1
>
>    HI Bryce,
>    as always thanks for this generated list - soon the time will come to
>    reduce it again once 21.04 opens.
>    I wonder about cases like "jq" above.
>    We know it is a sync, just that it is currently a time with no
>    auto-sync happening.

Right, I have a note from one of our earlier roadmap review discussion
that:

  - During feature freeze, already sync'd packages can be re-sync'd
    + It needs a FFe, and constant pinging to get in.

I can't say for certain if the inclusion of syncs is intentional or
accidental (at least not without doing some code sleuthing), but
regardless based on that note it seems that having these visible might
be of some utility here post-FF.

>    I have first thought to ask to remove those completely, but actually
>    they might indicate e.g. a sync blocker that should be removed.
>    But IMHO we should have them in a separate category down below in the
>    mail.
>    That way we'd be aware, but in 99% I'd expect that a week after the
>    auto-sync starts again those will be gone.
>    What do you think, would it be easy to do and helpful to move those to
>    an extra list?

The way this report is generated is it concatenates output from a set of
discrete scripts (each script is essentially a fancy grep from a master
list.)  So reordering the sections is easy but moving things from one
section to another is harder.  But I'll hang onto this suggestion; some
day I want to store the data in a database at which point I should be
able to tinker with the query logic easier.

Bryce