Random tools I've found interesting

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Mar 9 10:50:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 11:40 AM Christian Ehrhardt <
christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 8:53 PM Bryce Harrington <
> bryce.harrington at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> As followup to our retrospective, this past year I've found and played
>> with several tools, that I thought might be worth show-and-telling
>>

> Yes this is just what I had in mind - the storytelling to get attention to
> it.
>

>> about, and given our corona-sprint we're in will do so via email:
>>

>> == so-trello ==
>>
>> This CLI allows programmatic interaction with Trello boards.  It was
>> written by our own Kernel team's Andy Whitcroft.
>>
>> This looks like it could be handy for bulk operations, cronned/automated
>> card update tasks, and the like.
>>
>> So-trello can be downloaded from the snap store
>> (https://snapcraft.io/so-trello), or installed directly:
>>
>>   $ sudo snap install so-trello
>>

>> == LXD Login ==
>>
>> I'm always looking for ways to improve my user experience with lxc
>> containers.  Logging in has always felt a bit baroque, so I've been
>> scouring for simpler solutions.  I found out that LXD supports
>> 'aliases', and that you can construct a login alias, which works pretty
>> good.
>>
>>   $ lxc alias add login 'exec @ARGS@ --mode interactive -- bash -xac
>> $@bryce - exec /bin/login -p -f '
>>
>> (The trailing space after the -f is important).  Replace 'bryce' with
>> 'ubuntu' or whatever username you use in your containers.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it still requires running `script /dev/null` after
>> logging in... would love to figure out how to eliminate that step.
>>
>> Bonus, here's an alias to make a prettier lxc listing:
>>
>>   $ lxc alias add ls 'list -c ns4,user.comment:comment'
>>
>> If I'm late to the party and y'all already know about lxd aliases, well
>> boo, but show me *your* aliases!  (And we should add this to starter
>> docs...)
>>

>> == YAML Parser for Bash scripts - yaml.sh ==
>>
>> I like YAML and I like writing in Bash, but the two don't fit together
>> naturally.  Scouring the web for solutions, I found AdrianDC's yaml.sh
>> which reads a YAML file and registers its parameters as prefixed ENV
>> vars.  Quite handy.
>>
>> yaml.sh can be downloaded from:
>>
>>   $ wget
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jasperes/bash-yaml/master/script/yaml.sh
>>

>> == shellcheck ==
>>
>> Probably known to all Bash aficionados already, but 'shellcheck' is so
>> handy worth extra mention.  It runs a lint check on bash scripts to
>> identify syntax improvements.  Very helpful for catching errors too.
>>
>>   $ sudo apt-get install shellcheck
>>

> I use that as well and if you git-clone syntastic into your vim you'll get
> it integrated (along others) on writing a file.
>
>   $ cd ~/.vim/bundle
>   $ git clone https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic.git
>
> And BTW tools ..., managing vim plugins with
>   $ apt install vim-pathogen

Not my tool so I can't point to my repo.
But also really helpful when dealing with git-repos on a daily base.

https://github.com/jimeh/git-aware-prompt

Lets your prompt always list in which branch you are (I also show if it is
dirty).
Let me know if you need help setting this up...