Random tools I've found interesting

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Mar 9 10:43:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 11:40 AM Christian Ehrhardt <
christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 8:53 PM Bryce Harrington <
> bryce.harrington at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> As followup to our retrospective, this past year I've found and played
>> with several tools, that I thought might be worth show-and-telling
>>

> Yes this is just what I had in mind - the storytelling to get attention to
> it.

Breaking into a new thread to talk about the non git backed one-liners and
in-archive tools

As you know if you often run the same lengthy command it just takes time
without gain.
While trivial I can't summarize how much time I saved with:

 alias cdl="cd ~/work/libvirt/libvirt-ubuntu-git/"
 alias cdq="cd ~/work/qemu/qemu.git/"

On a similar note for git ubuntu sponsors:

 alias gutu='git ubuntu tag --upload && git describe HEAD'

And on complex multi remot many many branch git repos when you come back
and don't know where you left

alias gitltr="git for-each-ref --sort=committerdate refs/heads/
--format='%(HEAD) %(color:yellow)%(refname:short)%(color:reset) -
%(color:red)%(objectname:short)%(color:reset) - %(contents:subject) -
%(authorname) (%(color:green)%(committerdate:relative)%(color:reset))'"

The latter is a bit lengthy, but it lists you the last modified in order
like "ls -ltr" but for git branches.
Example:
$ gitltr
 ubuntu/devel - 1ed66190 - Import patches-unapplied version 1.8.5-5ubuntu1
to ubuntu/focal-proposed - Steve Langasek (2 weeks ago)
 i-c-build - 8dd15693 - changelog: go to pre 1.9 version for HW
acceleration features - Christian Ehrhardt (44 minutes ago)
* export-i-c-build - 9d4f471e - d/compat: set version 11 for Bionic -
Christian Ehrhardt (37 minutes ago)