Getting Podman 2.0 into ubuntu

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:29:58 UTC 2020

Hi Ubuntu Server folks,

I've been working quite a bit to get podman 2.0 (cf. https://podman.io/)
and its friends buildah and skopeo into debian/unstable, and succeeded
with that task yesterday (yay). Now, I need your help with getting those
packages built and ready for Ubuntu 20.20 (groovy).

Podman is a container tool that allows you to run OCI-compatible images,
with a user-interface that allows seamless transition from docker(1). It
also brings the concept of pods, known from kubernetes, to the world of
laptops. Buildah is a tool that is able to create images on the command
line. It can also read Dockerfiles. I've written about it here
http://tauware.blogspot.com/2020/04/building-packages-with-buildah-in-debian.html
.
Skopeo is a conversion tool from various container formats.

I believe there is significant value for ubuntu server users.

For better or worse, all these tool share quite a bit of code and require
some code from docker. The challenge I'm facing now is that the docker
package in debian has diverged significantly from ubuntu, which makes
building dependent packages, such as contianers/image and buildah, which
are dependencies of libpod (podman), unnecessary hard. This is captured in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/docker.io/+bug/1883978 - where I
was pointed to this list.

My question: Can we just sync over the docker.io package from debian? It
seems to ship with a newer upstream version anyways.

If not, what's the plan with docker.io in ubuntu? I may be able to convince
my fellow maintainers in Debian to incorporate ubuntu local changes if that
would be helpful. As a reminder, here are the changelog entries in ubuntu
summarizing the changes:

docker.io (19.03.11-0ubuntu1) groovy; urgency=medium

  * Update to 19.03.11 upstream release (CVE-2020-13401, LP: #1881679)
  * Apply wrap-and-sort
  * Move cgroupfs-mount to Suggests
    (esp. on Ubuntu where systemd is canonical)

 -- Tianon Gravi <tianon at debian.org>  Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:14:15 -0700

docker.io (19.03.8-0ubuntu4) groovy; urgency=medium

  * Provide "image" and "oci" components in golang dev package,
    mirroring Debian to address libpod FTBFS

 -- Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de>  Sat, 30 May 2020 11:56:59 -0400

docker.io (19.03.8-0ubuntu3) groovy; urgency=medium

  * Provide the rootless component in golang dev package, mirroring Debian
    (addresses nomad FTBFS).

 -- Logan Rosen <logan at ubuntu.com>  Tue, 26 May 2020 21:06:20 -0400

docker.io (19.03.8-0ubuntu2) groovy; urgency=medium

  [ Jean-Baptiste Lallement ]
  [ Didier Roche ]
  * Fix use with ZFS on root:
    - docker creates one dataset for any layer of containers that were
      created. Create now a <pool>/var/lib/docker for creating them in
      the persistent namespace and migrate existing one here.
    - purge the automated historic that was created.
    The migration only impacts the ubuntu desktop installation with
    experimental ZFS on root, and we have thus to stop and start the daemon
    to migrate data. (LP: #1879473)

 -- Didier Roche <didrocks at ubuntu.com>  Tue, 19 May 2020 11:01:22 +0200

docker.io (19.03.8-0ubuntu1) focal; urgency=medium

  * Update to 19.03.8 upstream release (LP: #1867068)
    - Improve mitigation for CVE-2019-14271 for some nscd configuration.

 -- Tianon Gravi <tianon at debian.org>  Wed, 11 Mar 2020 15:48:33 -0700

Unfortunately, they are not broken out in a way that would make it easy for
applying them to merge in Debian. I'd love to work with someone in the
ubuntu server team on this.

--
regards,
    Reinhard