Server 20.04 verses 16.04: python-gnuplot

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Wed Jan 29 03:43:30 UTC 2020

Just an F.Y.I follow up:

On 2020.01.20 16:34 Doug Smythies wrote:
>On 2020.01.20 11:00 Bryce Harrington wrote,
>>> I have not followed the issues, but am of the understanding that
>>> the transition from python 2 to 3 has not been easy.
>>
>> It's certainly kept us busy.
>
>>> I also observe that somewhere along the way my new 20.04 server seems to
>>> have managed to get some of python 2 installed:
>
> It seems the kernel-package wants to pull in a bunch of python 2 stuff [1].
>
>> Some info on where things are at during development:
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2019-November/040842.html
>
> Thanks.
>
>> I gather around release they'll make some adjustments, so some of the
>> changes to e.g. remove the python shbang are being done more to make
>> problems more evident, and could change for the release.

I'll wait to after 20.04 release to decide if the shbang line needs to change.

>>> As for the kernel script example, and its prerequisites header:

Now reads:
Python version 2.7.x or higher

>>>     gnuplot 5.0 or higher
>>>     gnuplot-py 1.8

Now reads:

gnuplot-py 1.8 or higher

>> I'll change that to whatever is required moving forward and submit upstream.

Done. Will be in kernel 5.6.

>>> It just has to be distro independent, obviously.
>>
>> The python3 shbang should be fine to most upstreams.  Where there might
>> be some difference of opinion is whether to call it like:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python3
>>
>> or
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/python3
>>
>> The former is preferred for distro scripts.
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> tools/power/x86/intel_pstate_tracer/intel_pstate_tracer.py is the only
> kernel tree script I use (although I have a few of my own based on it).

A minor syntax change was needed for it to work with python 3.
The change has been submitted upstream and accepted into kernel 5.6 material.

... Doug