New Ubuntu Server Guide Live

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Wed Apr 22 14:13:17 UTC 2020

On 2020.04.22 03:50 Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 8:13 AM Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
>
>> At the top of the post (if it is a wiki type as our guide posts are)
>> there is a little counter which shows the number of versions.
>> It is a Number followed by a "pen on a paper" icon.
>> That opens up the history and you can switch through versions.
>>
>> For example I see you adding the self-link to "Introduction" as last edit.
>> Josh before did change "virt-* tools" to "virt tools" and so on.

Found it, thanks.

>>> I could not see my attempt to include that page at the time,
>>> it still went to the discourse source page instead, but I
>>> do see it this morning.
>>> I wonder if a new html page needs time to actually create or something,
>>> just like the PDF is only daily.
>>
>> IIRC html usually rendered sub 30 minutes for me, mostly almost instantly.
>> And that seems to be true as your [2] has your last changes.

Thanks for explaining your experience.

I found and fixed two more navigation links that went to the discourse source
page instead of the html last night.

One took awhile to take effect, and one was more or less immediate.

> I haven't checked the PDF in the past so I don't know what to estimate.

The note on the intro source page [3] says once per day,
I waited about 30 hours, but didn't see it updated.
My purpose here, was less to do with my edit, but to
see if the file name changed, as I have linked to it directly
from the help.ubuntu.com base page [4].

i.e. that particular edit to the intro page was basically a test.

>> But I never checked the PDF, maybe there is some other tweak yet
>> unknown to me needed to properly render it into PDF as well.
>> I'll ask around and let you know if I find anything.
>
> I found Robin (on CC now) who was able to point me to the PDF conversion job.
> It would run once per day, but fails since ~1.5 months.
>
> We talked about fixing that as well as adding a "generated at <date>"
> into the PDF to spot such issues more easily.
>
> Robin will look after the job and most likely reply here once things are fixed.

Thanks.

[3] https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/introduction/11322
[4] https://help.ubuntu.com/