Ubuntu Server Guide: call for content and reviews

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Sun Sep 15 16:36:04 UTC 2019

On 2019.09.13 12:45 Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 05:44:15PM -0700, Doug Smythies wrote:
>> On 2019.09.12 13:26 Joshua Powers wrote:
>
>> There are a great many dead links, and I don't know how many links
>> that should not be links. For example [4], see index.pl as a link and
>> ??? as a non functioning link, but should go to [5].
>
> This is true, the links need some maintenance work.  I'm spotting
> several classes of breakage, two of which you've mentioned:
>
> * Internal cross-linking.  I think the link you mention in [4] is this
>   type.  The old documentation links to the Backup page,
>   (https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/preparing-to-install.html#backing-up)
>   but I suppose the conversion process couldn't recalculate the link
>   and left "???" as a placeholder?  Referring to the original doc
>   should help identify where these should be pointed in the updated
>   doc.

Even though Josh's original e-mail clearly stated it, I did not
realize that this stuff still needs to be compiled into an overall
HTML document. So I wonder if the ??? stuff will get sorted out
then?

There were some very cool yelp-check tools for the old mallard
Desktop help documentation that would identify any bad internal
or external links. I do not know if they can work on the final HTML.

> * Dead external links.  I've spotted one or two cases of standard
>   linkrot on a few pages, such as to now-missing blog posts or ezine
>   articles.  I suspect for ease of maintenance in the future it may be
>   best practice to avoid such links when possible, perhaps directly
>   including that information into this guide.

We have been trying to fix dead links as they are discovered.
And yes, it has always been serveguide policy to avoid external links
where possible. However, in many (most) cases it is unreasonable to
include the information directly, and we do not want to create a situation
where we have to edit the discourse source to reflect changes at
that external link.

> For the Apache2 page, I've gone ahead and fixed up all the items
> mentioned above, but the above link maintenance process should be done
> on each of the pages in the guide, and re-done every LTS.

Agreed. However, and based on past experience, this will not happen.

... Doug