Ubuntu Server Guide: call for content and reviews

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Sat Sep 14 00:07:38 UTC 2019

On 2019.09.13 13:06 Joshua Powers wrote:
> On 9/12/19 5:44 PM, Doug Smythies wrote:

>> The related doc team wiki pages will need updating.
>
> If you can point me at pages, we can help out here as well.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide (obsolete anyhow)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Repository/Members-Serverguide
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/BuildingDocumentation
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Repository
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Checking
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Submitting

These pages don't get a lot of hits so we should assess the person power required
verses the benefit.

>> Is it possible to publish a PDF version of the serverguide?
>>

> I know we can do an offline HTML document, I will need to confirm about
> PDF as well.

A PDF version is highly desirable.

>> It is not easy to navigate, both from within one page,
>> wanting to go to the next page, and from the order of things on
>> the navigation page [2]. For example. If I am on the Samba - file server
>> page [6] and then want to go to the print server page. To me,
>> the "Suggested Topics" area makes no sense.
>>

> I agree, that navigating between the Discourse pages is not
> straightforward. Using the introduction page is what I have also found
> to be the easiest mechanism until we have the new site up.

Oh, I thought that was the new site. I guess it is just the source code?

>> At some point (typically around 21.10), the 20.04 serverguide will need
>> to be split out as 22.04 specific edits need to be started. Won't we
>> want something like we have now where "lts" or "stable" always points
>> to the correct version of the web pages? Once 22.04 is released,
>> then "lts" would point to that version and one would need to force
>> "20.04" to get the older, but still active version. While not needed
>> for two years, it should be planned for now.
>>

> I will need to confirm the mechanism that will let us do this. On other
> sites [1] that use this same model they have the ability to show
> previous versions.

Oh, I see via your [1] reference, that what ends up being published
is rather organized, and I guess I have only been looking at source
code so far, albeit formatted. (?).

I also see that it has a link to discourse which looks similar to
this stuff.

O.K. so now that I think I understand, why wouldn't or couldn't
the actual published version just be located at the same old spot?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/index.html

And if yes, we don't need to change the current landing page at all,
nor add a note. Users don't care where the source code resides.

> [1] https://old-docs.maas.io/2.5/en/

... Doug