Ubuntu Server Guide: call for content and reviews

Joshua Powers josh.powers at canonical.com
Wed Nov 6 15:55:56 UTC 2019

On 11/5/19 5:24 PM, Doug Smythies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are still things to work out for this
> transition from Docbook to discourse, but I thought it
> best to wait until after 19.10 was done.
>
> O.K. so now let's get on with it.
>
> Where will the final compiled HTML document be posted?
> And would it make sense to simply have it at the same location
> as where the Docbook version would end up? That would be:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/20.04/serverguide/index.html
>
> during this preliminary phase, and become
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/index.html
>
> after the release date.

I will be at a sprint next week where I will get an update on the
progress of the new site including the location and the PDF question
below. My hope was that the new site would be live right after the new
year, if not sooner.

> Regardless of being in the old location or some new location,
> Can we (meaning one of you) get on with it, such that compile,
> formatting and publishing issues can be discovered and fixed now.
>
> For testing purposes, and until the publishing step happens by
> itself, how does one compile the discourse source code into what would
> be the final html documents?
>
> Can whomever please give me editing rights to the discourse stuff.

By migrating to Discourse, anyone can make an account and then add
comments on the topics. Those comments can be suggestions, fixes, or
conversations about the content. Editors can then update the docs
themselves and those changes can be reflected immediately on the new
site.

The Canonical server team has already begun going through the existing
content removing or updating outdated pages, checking links, and
verifying the formatted pages.

This original thread was a call to action for content and reviews. I
continue to invite others to view the list of topics [1], review, and
contribute as we prepare for our next LTS release.

[1] https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/introduction/11322