mlocate - what is it good for?

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Fri May 31 18:41:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, 31 May 2019, Brian Murray wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:39:29AM -0500, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 May 2019, Seth Arnold wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway, I believe locate can have great value to all our users,
> > > experienced or brand new, huge systems or small systems. I'd like
> > > us to keep it in default installs.
> > >
> > IMO, find has its place and so does mlocate. I still use locate myself fairly
> > regularly (perhaps a couple/few times a month?) on my laptop and I have been
> > known to adjust PRUNEPATHS. As said by another elsewhere, even if it was moved
> > out of standard we would still want to address the bugs so I'd just assume it
> > stay in standard.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the distinction between it staying in standard
> versus it being in main but unseeded. The support for the package
> doesn't change if it is part of standard as far as I know. Is there
> something I'm missing?

I was saying that if all we cared about was avoiding the few bug fixes that
prompted this, there is no difference and so it should stay.

A lot of interesting points have been made since I sent this and it is a
difficult decision. I do think a developer will just install it if it is part
of her workflow (she will be installing a bunch of other dev tools anyway).
That leaves normal server, but considering the impact on cloud and desktop
(that now requires tracker), it is hard (for me) to justify it in standard[1].
I would like to see it in main regardless of the decision.

[1] I almost suggested a task in the installer, but that seems a bit much for
one small package...

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com