last minute testing of the live server installer

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Wed Apr 10 23:58:27 UTC 2019

Hi all,

As you all know, the disco release is nearly on us. There have been several
changes to subiquity since the last release, and it would be great if you
could test the installer out before release day. There should be just
enough time to fix any simple bugs you find :)

The main new features since 18.04.2 are:

 * supporting offline installs
 * support for encrypted LVM volumes
 * offering updates to any newer version of the installer we publish in the
snap store
 * using geoip to select a local mirror by default
 * making the default enter-enter-enter flow even smoother

but there are many smaller fixes and improvements. One big feature, being
able reuse existing partitions, is not going to make the release but it's
fairly close and the snap refresh feature means that we can get it into the
hands of users as soon as it is ready.

The image to test is at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily-live/current/. To test in a
local VM:

$ wget
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily-live/current/disco-live-server-amd64.iso
$ qemu-img create -f raw target.img 10G
$ kvm -m 1024 -boot d -cdrom disco-live-server-amd64.iso -hda target.img

and to boot into the new system once you've installed,

$ kvm -m 1024 -hda target.img

Please report any bugs by replying to this main or at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/subiquity.

Cheers,
mwh
(and the other installer hackers)