git-ubuntu 0.7.1 in edge/candidate/stable channels

Nish Aravamudan nish.aravamudan at canonical.com
Thu Mar 1 05:33:38 UTC 2018

Hello all!

I am  happy to announce the release of git-ubuntu 0.7.1 to all channels
today.

This is a massive update to our code as well as a refocus on the
import side of things. While regressions in other subcommands is not
intentional, it is certainly possible right now -- our goal is to get
all of main imported, by slowly ramping our phasing (we're aiming for
10% first, to see how it affects Launchpad, etc.).

To that end, I'm not going to provide highlights this time around.
Almost all of the code has been changed since the last tagged release!
We are working on improving code quality, by adding unit tests (thanks
to Robie for extensive work in this area).

I am about to kick off a reimport of all source packages in our
whitelist and 1% of main. Then the default Git repositories for the
working set of source packages will be updated to point at our
repositories. Finally, I will restart our keep-up job with those same
parameters. I will send follow-up e-mails as we get through each of
those steps.

Because of this reimport, if you have pending MPs against previously
imported repositories, they will need to be resubmitted (our importer
code should put a comment in appropriately!). What you will need to do
(roughly) is:

git tag <tagname> <old MP target>
git fetch pkg (which should force update)
git rebase --onto <MP target> <tagname> HEAD

We are effectively transplanting changes we had relative to <old merge
target> to now be based upon the updated pkg/<merge target> branch.
(Note that you do not need to create a tag for this, I just find it
handy to give descriptive names for commits; you can just use the commit
hash).

If you have any questions about this, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Nish

--
Nishanth Aravamudan