i386 images

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 25 23:59:10 UTC 2017

On 25 October 2017 at 22:04, Josh Powers <josh.powers at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi ubuntu-server,
>
> During the last cycle a proposal [1] was sent to the ubuntu-devel list
> around discontinuing the production of an i386 image for server and
> desktop live. I do not recall seeing any major objections to removing
> the server image, but no action was taken. The desktop image is no
> longer produced.
>
> I want to revisit this discussion for the 18.04 cycle and even go so far
> as to propose that the classic img/iso no longer get produced for i386.
>
> I am inviting thoughts, objections, discussion from the ubuntu-server
> mailing list.

Just to highlight what is _not_ proposed to drop:

* i386 archive will stay
  - i386 cloud/container images will continue to be build, as this is
required to keep the infra that maintains the archive running
* d-i builds of i386 will stay
* d-i based mini.iso / pxeboot files will stay
* upgrades will continue to work
* Ubuntu Core images will still be built for IoT

It is proposed to no longer build the byproduct
ubuntu-XX.YY-server-i386.iso which is d-i + a /pool/ of debs that
refer to a subset of Ubuntu Server packages (e.g. LAMP stack)

I believe that Ubuntu Core Images, mini.iso, cloud images, container
images is enough to cover all basis that are adequate i386 use cases
of ubuntu servers.

Do you feel there is a need for the New Ubuntu Server Installer images
for i386 (SUbiquity images)?

--
Regards,

Dimitri.