Feedback request | Documentation site reorg, switch to Markdown

Chris Perry clissold345 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 19 10:10:00 UTC 2017

Morning all

I wanted to pick up on Stephen's use of the term "semantic
documentation markup". (I'm basically agreeing with some of the points
he made.) Markdown isn't a semantic language, which means that it
knows almost nothing about the structure of the documentation it is
used for. One wouldn't choose to use Markdown for structured
documentation because the advantages (and it has some) would be
outweighed by the disadvantages. For example, one wouldn't choose to
use it for online help (for example, the Ubuntu desktop help).

Regards,

Chris.