UPStart errors on Xenial with systemd

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:29:05 UTC 2016

On 30 March 2016 at 14:08, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Quoting Martinx - ジェームズ (thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com):
> > Guys,
> >
> >  Almost all daemons that I install on Xenial, I'm seeing the following
>
> Hi,
>
> could you give a specific example?
>
> thanks,
> -serge
>
> > error:
> >
> > ---
> > initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
> > /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
> > ---
> >
> >  It is running systemd by default, so, why those upstart jobs are called?

Sure! Here are the examples...

apt install apache2
Enabling conf serve-cgi-bin.
Enabling site 000-default.
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
insserv: warning: script 'cron' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
Processing triggers for systemd (229-3ubuntu1) ...

apt purge apache2
Removing apache2 (2.4.18-1ubuntu1) ...
Purging configuration files for apache2 (2.4.18-1ubuntu1) ...
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
insserv: warning: script 'cron' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for
script `cron'

apt install docker.io
Unpacking docker.io (1.10.3-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (229-3ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Setting up docker.io (1.10.3-0ubuntu1) ...
addgroup: The group `docker' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
insserv: warning: script 'cron' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
Processing triggers for systemd (229-3ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...

apt purge docker.io
Removing docker.io (1.10.3-0ubuntu1) ...
Purging configuration files for docker.io (1.10.3-0ubuntu1) ...
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
insserv: warning: script 'cron' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for
script `cron'
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...

 All over the place...

Thanks,
Thiago