windows can not access samba share - username case senitivity issue [xenial]

Doug Smythies dsmythies at telus.net
Wed Feb 17 04:51:44 UTC 2016

Does anyone have some ideas about my samba problems?

On 2016.02.06 12:22 Doug Smythies wrote.

Thanks for the replies.

On 2016.02.06 09:51 Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:

>>> Can you logon as "doug" from a Linux box?
>>
>> I can login as "doug" locally and from other boxes via ssh or whatever.
>> If you mean via samba from a different Linux box, then I have never done that.

> Yes to the latter.
> Can you list the shares with:
> smbclient -L //smb_srv-ip_address -U doug
> Can you log into doug's home share with:
> smbclient //smb_srv-ip_address/doug -U doug

1.) from 16.04 server (smythies.com) to 14.04 server (s15.smythies.com):

doug at DOUG-64:~$ smbclient -L //s15 -U doug
Enter doug's password:
Domain=[SHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (s15 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
        share           Disk      Smythies.com main server share
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        homes           Disk      Home Directories
        doug            Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[SHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DOUG-64              doug-64 server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        S15                  s15 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        SHOME                DOUG-64

2.) from 14.04 server (s15) to 16.04 server (smythies.com):

doug at s15:~$ smbclient -L //smythies.com -U doug
WARNING: no network interfaces found
Enter doug's password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

>>> Did you create machine accounts?
>>
>> Just me, so far. The account "doug" was created during installation.
>> And that is the same as my 14.04 test server.
>> I have never used the samba username name stuff, and not needing
>> to is the whole point of the way I configure samba.

> AFAIK, you need machine accounts when you set "domain logons = yes"
> because the samba server acts as a DC; and you have both "domain
> logons = yes" and the "server role = classic primary domain
> controller" set.
>
> What's the output of "pdbedit -L" on 14.04 and 16.04? Are machine
> accounts (ending with "$") listed?

1.) On the 14.04 server (s15.smythies.com)

doug at s15:~$ sudo pdbedit -L
INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 10
  tdb: 10
  printdrivers: 10
  lanman: 10
  smb: 10
  rpc_parse: 10
  rpc_srv: 10
  rpc_cli: 10
  passdb: 10
  sam: 10
  auth: 10
  winbind: 10
  vfs: 10
  idmap: 10
  quota: 10
  acls: 10
  locking: 10
  msdfs: 10
  dmapi: 10
  registry: 10
  scavenger: 10
  dns: 10
  ldb: 10
doing parameter max log size = 10000
doing parameter panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
doing parameter log level = 2
doug:1000:Doug Smythies

2.) On the 16.04 server (smythies.com)

doug at DOUG-64:~$ sudo pdbedit -L
INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 10
  tdb: 10
  printdrivers: 10
  lanman: 10
  smb: 10
  rpc_parse: 10
  rpc_srv: 10
  rpc_cli: 10
  passdb: 10
  sam: 10
  auth: 10
  winbind: 10
  vfs: 10
  idmap: 10
  quota: 10
  acls: 10
  locking: 10
  msdfs: 10
  dmapi: 10
  registry: 10
  scavenger: 10
  dns: 10
  ldb: 10
  tevent: 10
doing parameter max log size = 1000
doing parameter panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
doing parameter server role = classic primary domain controller
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter encrypt passwords = true
doing parameter passdb backend = tdbsam
doing parameter obey pam restrictions = yes
doing parameter unix password sync = yes
doing parameter passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
doing parameter passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
doing parameter pam password change = yes
doing parameter username level = 5
doing parameter domain logons = yes
doing parameter logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
doing parameter logon drive = U:
doing parameter logon home = \\%N\%U
doing parameter logon script = logon.cmd
doing parameter add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
doing parameter domain master = yes
doing parameter template shell = /bin/bash
doing parameter usershare max shares = 100
doing parameter usershare allow guests = no
pm_process() returned Yes
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find homes
Netbios name list:-
my_netbios_names[0]="DOUG-64"
Attempting to register passdb backend smbpasswd
Successfully added passdb backend 'smbpasswd'
Attempting to register passdb backend tdbsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'tdbsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend wbc_sam
Successfully added passdb backend 'wbc_sam'
Attempting to register passdb backend samba_dsdb
Successfully added passdb backend 'samba_dsdb'
Attempting to register passdb backend samba4
Successfully added passdb backend 'samba4'
Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend NDS_ldapsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'NDS_ldapsam'
Attempting to register passdb backend IPA_ldapsam
Successfully added passdb backend 'IPA_ldapsam'
Attempting to find a passdb backend to match tdbsam (tdbsam)
Found pdb backend tdbsam
pdb backend tdbsam has a valid init
tdbsam_open: successfully opened /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb