Xenial, ethtool hangs while enabling MQ and consumes 100% if executed after OVS+DPDK startup

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:28:13 UTC 2016

Guys,

 I'm facing an issue here with ethtool, while trying to enable multi-queue
from inside a VM.

---
 *** How it works?

 1- Boot your Xenial guest, and run:

 ethtool -L ens6 combined 4
 ethtool -L ens8 combined 4

 2- Install openvswitch-switch-dpdk configure DPDK and OVS and fire it up.

 service openvswitch-switch stop
 service dpdk stop

 service dpdk start
 service openvswitch-switch start

 - Enable multi-queue on OVS+DPDK inside of the VM:

 ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . other_config:n-dpdk-rxqs=4
 ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . other_config:pmd-cpu-mask=0xff00

 * Multi-queue apparently works! ovs-vswitchd consumes more that 100% of
CPU, meaning that it multi-queue is there...

 *** Where it fails?

 1- Reboot the VM and try to run ethtool again:

 ethtool -L ens6 combined 4

 # FAIL! It hangs, consuming 100% of guest's CPU...
---

 So, is this the right procedure? I mean, I believe that ethtool settings
doesn't survive across reboots, but, OVS settings are on its DB... Question
is, do we need to run ethtool on each reboot before starting OVS+DPDK with
VirtIO again?

Cheers!
Thiago