UPStart errors on Xenial with systemd

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 4 20:53:38 UTC 2016

Quoting Martinx - ジェームズ (thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com):
> On 31 March 2016 at 00:24, Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 30 March 2016 at 17:46, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Quoting Martinx - ジェームズ (thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com):

> >> following

> >> called?

> >> I'm not seeing htat.  could you show the output of
> >>
> >> dpkg -l | egrep -e '(systemd|upstart|init)'
> >>
> >> ?
> >>

> > Mmm... Interesting...
> >
> > Here it is:
> >
> > https://paste.ubuntu.com/15564855/
> >
> > This box was upgraded from Ubuntu 14.04...
> >

> More interesting, my 16.04 Desktop, that I installed from Xenial ISO,
> doesn't have this problem, only if upgrade from 14.04...

eureka - the key is /etc/init.d/cron.  If it is a symbolic link to
/lib/init/upstart-job, then upstart ends up being called at some
point.  In systems which did not start at 14.04, cron is its own
sysvinit file.  Reinstatating the full file on an upgraded system
fixes this.

Not sure whether this should be fixed in cron itself, or elsewhere...

-serge