nginx exception request

Thomas Ward teward at trekweb.org
Tue Jun 30 14:55:10 UTC 2015

On 06/30/2015 06:08 AM, Robie Basak wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:50:05AM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
>> Please can we agree on feature freeze and SRU policy exceptions so that
>> we can execute option A, or otherwise discuss alternatives?
>
> Any thoughts please? Although we'd not execute on any exception until
> 2016, Thomas needs to know now whether to merge 1.9 from Debian or
> diverge on 1.8 for Wily.
There is also another option that is likely less desirable than the
other aforementioned options in the previous emails in this chain by
Robie: We (or rather, I) could do absolutely nothing for Wily, and we
can ultimately just deal with this closer to 16.04, such that we can
have this discussion for a longer period of time.

By doing nothing, 1.6.x will remain in Ubuntu for the duration of Wily.
Features from 1.7.x which are now present in 1.8.x (nginx stable) will
not exist in Ubuntu Wily, and even newer features (and to my chagrin,
the "Disable SSLv3 By Default" change at the source code level) from
1.9.x will not exist in Ubuntu Wily either.  This option allows us on
the Server Team, and myself, to not have to immediately worry about
merging, while users who want the newer features in 1.8.x and 1.9.x can
simply use the already-existing NGINX PPAs that I maintain which package
both NGINX versions for all supported Ubuntu releases.

While input from the Release team is sought for Wily, so we can try and
have less of a merge delta by 16.04, we can theoretically do nothing now
for Wily, and then go with 1.9.x in 16.04, and then focus on the one-off
policy exceptions or potential other alternatives then, rather than
require the release team's input immediately.  However, I believe it is
a better option to consider 1.8.x or 1.9.x now for Wily rather than do
nothing.

------
Thomas Ward