GCC 5 now the default in wily (release pocket)

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 14 16:53:09 UTC 2015

Hi Michi,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 06:36:41PM +1000, Michi Henning wrote:
> Sorry, I don't follow.

> This is on Jenkins. I have no choice as to what packages are used to build
> with there.

> Am I missing something?

Why are these jobs building in jenkins, rather than in a ppa?

Who administers this jenkins, and why is the jenkins not set up to build
against -proposed?

I'm not sure why your jenkins build environment should have a policy that's
different from both the main archive and the CI Train silos.  I think you
probably want to get this fixed.

> On 14 Aug 2015, at 18:20 , Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > On 08/14/2015 10:07 AM, Michi Henning wrote:
> >> As of today, none of our CI jobs are building any longer.
> >>
> >> It looks like gcc 5 is now the default in Jenkins, but the libraries that are installed are still compiled with 4.9.
> >> So, for example, we fail to link against leveldb because leveldb still has the old ABI string symbols in it.
> >> The boost -dev packages also appear to still be at 1.55 with the old ABI. I expect that more things will
> >> will be affected. For example, Qt5, with methods such as QString::fromStdString().

> > this looks like you don't have -proposed enabled. And yes, this is
> > expected.  boost can't be built for the new ABI, it will be removed for
> > the wily release.

This refers specifically to boost 1.55, not "boost".  boost in wily-proposed
is now at version 1.58 and is built for the g++5 ABI.  However, this won't
make its way into wily until the phone stack is ready to migrate (along with
the various other packages that need to be migrated at the same time).