Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Peter Matulis peter.matulis at canonical.com
Tue Jan 7 14:09:45 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 01:18 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:
>> However, I think item 7, translations and the overall workflow is
>> the unknown at this time, and could be a major hurtle or even a
>> show stopper. We need to estimate that part of the project for
>> feasibility, person hours, and potential timeline for implementation.
>> Myself, I would put a hold on items 1-6 for now.
>> Myself, I do not know how to even start looking into item 7, but
>> I'll help if possible.
>
> Huge +1 here. This is an LTS release and I'm not sure this is the best
> time to take upon this major overhaul given the amount of time
> involved and the uncertainty about translations. Translations are very
> important, particularly in an LTS, and we do a great disservice to our
> translations volunteers if we do this without a plan for them, or
> otherwise abruptly change things for them. How ever we do this, it's
> likely that all strings will be shown as modified and they'll have to
> begin translations from scratch rather than just updating changed
> strings.
>
> I'd feel much better doing this for 14.10, when it's a bit less
> important to have a solid, translated documentation for release.

As we know, there is a chorus that goes up at every UDS that says we
should change away from XML but no one ever did anything.  I decided to
push forward with this in order to i) see what would be involved and ii)
provoke reactions from people.  From what I can see I've achieved both
goals.

It would be great if a knowledgeable person from Translations could get
in contact with me about the impact this transition would have for them.

~pmatulis