[RFC] Trusty plans for xen-api/xcp

George Dunlap george.dunlap at eu.citrix.com
Mon Feb 10 16:15:57 UTC 2014

On 02/10/2014 03:00 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 10.02.2014 15:47, George Dunlap wrote:
>>> I have filed bug 1278352 to have these packages removed from Trusty.
>> FYI, I just had a chat with the lead xapi developer.  He's said that
>> unfortunately management has told them not to work on the open-source
>> xapi packages (at least for now); so if there is nobody in the
>> community willing to maintain it, then I think removing it is probably
>> the best option.
>>
>> On a related note -- what version of libvirt / Xen will be in Trusty?
>> The SuSE guys have made a lot of progress on getting good support for
>> libxl and libvirt; that's probably the best way forward.
>>
>>   -George
>>
> Libvirt version 1.2.x (currently .1) not sure whether this may or may not change
> until release. Xen ... at least 4.3.2 (not yet uploaded) but there has been some
> interest (for the better Arm support) on 4.4. Depends a bit how soon/late the
> release is compared to Trusty.

I think it should be out by the end of the month, but you know how
predictable software development is. :-)  We just checked in a patch
series that should make libvirt on libxl really stable (fixed a bunch of
obscure race conditions, apparently it now runs for days of stress
testing without any problems), so if you could get 4.4 in, that would be
great.  (If not, I think the series may end up being backported to 4.3
at some point, but I'm not sure.)

> Anyway, I would like to make xl the default for new setups at least. I am
> currently using it a lot together with virt-manager (though it has some odd ends
> still) and I am being told that openstack integration is done via libvirt at
> least (not sure they mandate the stack being xl or not).

Yeah, long-term I think libvirt is going to be the most suitable thing
from both sides.

  -George