[vUDS blueprint 13.10] LXC work

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed May 1 19:32:56 UTC 2013

(resend from subscribed address)

Over the past several cycles we have been working toward a specific
vision of where we want LXC to be for 14.04 LTS.  This has been
laid out in several places, and has also been codified in the form
of a roadmap toward the upcoming 1.0 LXC release.  That roadmap can
be seen at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LXC/1.0-roadmap

For 13.10, we intend to focus on the harder, more fundamental pieces,
which will be scarier during an LTS cycle.  This includes the core
of the remaining user namespace, completing the most-wanted features
in the API, and monitor and control socket work.

During this vUDS discussion we'd like to get feedback on any other
inputs we should use in prioritizing work items, as well as any other
LXC features which other teams might need during 13.10 or 14.04 which
are not on our 1.0 roadmap.

I've refrained from filling in user stories etc at this point, as I'd
like to focus on doing those after we've prioritized the work to be
completed for 13.10 and for this vUDS cycle (13.7?)

Specific pieces which would best be completed in 13.10 include
	unprivileged use of user namespaces
	full user namespace support in kernel
	attach, clone, and console support in API
	merge GO binding
	userns patches merged into upstream shadow package
	ability to use lxc-fuse in ubuntu package
	libvirt driver based on lxc api

-serge