errors.ubuntu.com: mechanism on Server

Robie Basak robie.basak at canonical.com
Fri Jun 7 09:00:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 04:19:46PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Of course this should be defaulted to no.    Given that the reports to e.u.c
> are treated as more sensitive than crash reports to Launchpad, it is at best
> counter-intuitive to expect that sending reports is a reasonable default.

Thanks for joining the discussion!

It sounds like the default will be No then, unless Evan can convince you
otherwise.

I remain skeptical that this whole endeavour will be useful.

I note the objection to the bash prompt prompt. Clint and Scott: how
about the following. Would you still object to the nagging?

What if:

When the number of pending crash reports has increased, there will be
*one* prompt at the bash prompt, and further prompts will be supressed
until the number of pending crash reports goes up again. The persistent
motd report will then be the only other indication that anything is
pending.

This prompt will be a single line:

8 crash reports pending. Type "crash-info" for more or to disable.

Then typing "crash-info" will look like the following:

    ubuntu at server$ true  # admin doing his regular work
    6 crash reports pending. Type "crash-info" for more or to disable.
    ubuntu at server$ crash-info
    There are 6 crash reports pending.

    To help make Ubuntu better by sending all pending crash reports to
    errors.ubuntu.com, type "crash --send".

    To automatically send these and all future crash reports without
    further prompting, type "crash --enable-automatic-send".

    To disable prompting about crash reports at the shell prompt, type
    "crash --disable-shell-prompting".

    To disable the crash reporting system entirely, type "crash --disable".

    For more information, type "man 8 crash".

    ubuntu at server$

--disable and --disable-shell-prompting should then be preseedable.

Clint/Scott: would doing it this way be OK - by supressing the prompt
unless the pending count goes up, and only a single line? If not, how
do you feel about doing it for the development version only? Or is your
opinion still "no, not at all"?

Robie