Deploying modern web apps (apt vs pip/rvm)

Ahmed Kamal kim0 at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 15 17:37:14 UTC 2013

Hi there,

We're building (and deploying) a large scale app (python+rails+mongodb) and
others. Now developers are running rampant install python dependencies from
pip, and ruby stuff with rvm...etc. Some of the packages needed, are in apt
repos, some are older versions, and some are not there at all.

Now I'd like to pick the pool of expertise here:
- Where do we draw the line, between using OS packages vs pip/rvm
- How do we best ensure same environment on dev env, vs production env
- What are the best practices here

Thanks for sharing