Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - Raring

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Feb 20 00:22:47 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 04:42:09 PM Matthew East wrote:
> On 19 February 2013 15:57, Jorge O. Castro <jorge at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Peter Matulis
> >
> > <peter.matulis at canonical.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Has the idea of ubuntu-core-dev becoming a sub-team of ubuntu-core-doc
> >> ever been brought up before in a formal way?  If not, maybe it should.
> >
> > CCing the doc team mailing list. What's preventing us from JFDIing
> > this? Seems like a nobrainer to me. (I would also include non-core
> > devs as well).
>
> To answer the question about whether this has been brought up in the
> past, my recollection is that this has been raised in the past and
> generally the reason for not doing it has been that the skillset on
> which the members of each group are tested is different. In other
> words, one can't assume that members of core-dev will be familiar with
> the Ubuntu Documentation Team's processes and will be good technical
> writers, thus satisfying the requirements for access to
> ~ubuntu-core-doc listed here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Organization.

Part of being a core-dev is knowing when to stop and ask.  I think it's an
unneeded barrier to entry.  I'm certainly not going to rewrite anything
(because I'm not particularly motivated to do so and as suggested, I'm not
primarily a technical writer).  OTOH, I think I can make technical corrections
just fine without needing to know much about the doc team processes.

I brought this up because I recently found a few errors in the server guide
and if I could just pull a branch, fix it, and push, I would.

Scott K