Problems installing Ubuntu 12.04 on HP Proliant DL585 G1 server

Vipul Agarwal vipul at nuttygeeks.com
Fri Feb 1 19:24:37 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm running into issues while installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit) server
edition on a HP Proliant DL585 G1 server.
When I boot the server with the installation CD and go for Install Ubuntu
from the graphical boot menu, the system freezes with a grey screen.

There is no display port on the server so I'm using HP iLO remote console.
I was able to install CentOS 6 on the same server without any issues though
but I really need Ubuntu as per application requirements.
I've tried both normal and alternate versions of the CD. I've even tried
all the "modes" available in the boot menu none of them make a difference.

Did anyone came across a similar issue?
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Vipul