[vUDS Blueprint 13.10] MongoDB into Ubuntu main

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 30 21:31:56 UTC 2013

On 04/30/2013 04:16 PM, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> On 04/30/2013 03:54 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 08:13:42 PM James Page wrote:
>>> Hi Clint

>>> I raised this directly with 10gen last cycle; they granted Ubuntu a
>>> license exception so that we could enable SSL support with OpenSSL.
>>>
>>> I want to see if we can get this generically expanded to support *everyone*.
>>
>> You'll have to.  If the license is Ubuntu specific, it has to go in multiverse.
>> See DFSG #8.
>>
>> Scott K
>>
> Sorry, but I'm confused.  How do the *Debian* Free Software Guidelines,
> specifically #8 [1], apply to this thread?
>
> -Robbie
>
> [1]
> "#8 License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
>
> The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
> being part of a Debian system. If the program is extracted from Debian
> and used or distributed without Debian but otherwise within the terms of
> the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed
> should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction
> with the Debian system."

Nevermind...I think you meant to point to our Licensing document[1],
which does state that any packages in 'main' or 'restricted':

"Must not be distributed under a licence specific to Ubuntu. The rights
attached to the software must not depend on the program being part of
Ubuntu system. So we will not distribute software for which Ubuntu has a
"special" exemption or right, and we will not put our own software into
Ubuntu and then refuse you the right to pass it on."

Thanks for pointing this out Scott.

-Robbie

[1]
http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/licensing

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com>
robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"Don't make me angry...you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
 -Bruce Banner