webmin, zentyal, conf file policy, etc

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Oct 3 13:30:17 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 02:22:26 PM Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> On 2012-10-03 14:05, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > It's not a question of fair or not fair.  The policy is what it is for
> > good
> > reasons.  It does not say that external packages are not allowed to change
> > configuration, but that they have to do so via a program provided by the
> > package.  This gives a defined interface and reduces the risk of incorrect
> > changes.  I think this makes a lot of sense.
>
> I agree, but the problem is that most programs don't have this. If you are
> lucky, a program supports "change the configuration files and SIGHUP the
> daemon". Why doesn't Debian policy require them have this interface? In the
> absence of that requirement, the onus is on the webmin team to do their
> work for them.

There are tens of thousands of packages in the Debian archive.  Only a small
fraction would benefit from such a capability.  I general requirement is
overkill.

Fundamentally this runs into the problem of there being no standard method in
the *nix world of defining and managing configuration.  There are some attempts,
like augeaus.  A middle ground would be for webmin to implement support for a
preferred tool like augeaus and then prefer to use it's interface for
applications that ship an augeaus lens (I think that's what they are called).

That would allow webmin to (with a manageable amount of work) support a common
interface standard that upstreams or package maintainers could support (and
would useful on lots of distros, not just Debian and it's derivatives).

Scott K