Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark?

Fabio T. Leitao fabio.tleitao at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 00:01:04 UTC 2012

I am sure it makes sense, but there is a chatch 22 here.

The thing is, when you are at vim with the background set to light, it is
still pretty much readable on the dark terminal (we all see it, its the
current default)... but the other way around (background set to dark on a
light terminal) is pretty much a ticket to a headache and it gets really
hard to read.

I use it mostly on the Terminal, but I also use gvim and its as light as it
can be (white backgound). Test it for a little while in such other extreme
situation. Maybe it can be set in vimrc to detect if you are at gvim (not
sure how it would work, is there a gvimrc?) and work with the light
background while changing the default to dark.

Yet, it would only take the same amount of tweaking to put it back to light
if that is what the the end user would want.

Make sure its well documented, including the reason for the change, and how
to revert it, and I see no problem with the change.

2012/1/23 Diego Xirinachs <dxiri343 at gmail.com>

> I support this change also.
> On Jan 23, 2012 3:57 PM, "Adon Metcalfe" <adon.metcalfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm all for it! its one of the customisations we apply (as well as
>> setting up pathogen =)) to all of our Ubuntu and RHEL hosts.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Adon
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This bug was filed fairly recently:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/871907
>>>
>>> I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light
>>> background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.
>>>
>>> I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least
>>> on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.
>>>
>>> This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before
>>> FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in
>>> case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a
>>> change.
>>>
>>> The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in
>>> the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background=dark.
>>>
>>> I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users
>>> of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would
>>> possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Adon Metcalfe
>> Coordinator - Applications Solutions
>> IT Operations
>> Regional Services Division
>>
>> Department of Environment and Conservation (WA)
>> 17 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151 Postal address: Locked Bag 104
>> Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983
>>
>> --

Fábio Leitão