Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark?

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 23 21:44:43 UTC 2012

This bug was filed fairly recently:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/871907

I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light
background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.

I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least
on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.

This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before
FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in
case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a change.

The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in
the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background=dark.

I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users
of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would
possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.