MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

Alex Esterkin aesterkin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 19:36:14 UTC 2012

All I am asking for is this:  Please, do not substitute packages.  Let
mysql-server.deb retain its origin.  Please, add MariaDB under a different
name and let the end users decide whether they want to stick with the
Oracle's MySQL or to switch to using MariaDB.  If MariaDB is better,
faster, more scalable, and more stable, the end users will flock.    And
those who decide to switch to MariaDB would still want to do it on their
schedule, as opposed to on the Ubuntu release schedule.

Regards,

Alex Esterkin