Distro-provided mechanism to clean up old kernels

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 16 20:04:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 02:21:18PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> In c-j 2.0, I worked to separate the backend functionality into a dbus
> service, with gtk and command-line front-ends.  I looked at the
> debian/changelog to refresh my memory, and that implies the work was done
> during the Lucid cycle, but I think we ended up not landing it until after
> that LTS release, since my Lucid VM still has c-j 1.13.3.

Bear in mind that dbus is not running on servers by default.  So that would
be a fine solution for the desktop, but there's a larger architectural
decision to confront there if we think that should be the solution on
servers as well.

I personally think we should bite the bullet and run dbus on servers as
well, but the server folks may disagree. ;)  In any event, there are other
places where lack of dbus is already causing suffering on the server, such
as with upstart bash-completion support.