booting oneiric in xen hvm domU

Mark Dokter dokter at icg.tugraz.at
Wed Sep 21 21:32:42 UTC 2011

On 9/21/11 2:19 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 21.09.2011 12:56, Mark Dokter wrote:
>> On 09/20/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>>

>>> That sort of is normal and depends on the guest. Except the virtual kernel, all
>>> other kernels have the blockfront and netfront drivers only compiled as a
>>> module. If one wants to use them, then those need to go into the list of early
>>> loaded modules. Or as with the argument, xen gets told to keep the emulated disk
>>> and network devices.
>>> But it would be worth documenting this at least in the release notes, I guess.
>>>

>> How early is early ? I guess the modules are in the initrd, since I can
>> drop to a shell and load them. But this doesn't reveal disks/nics.
>>

> In theory I would expect things to work when either loaded from the shell or the
> required module names being placed into /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
> However when I tried now, it does not seem to work. I really think it had been
> working, but that may have been back with xen-4.1.0. Moving to 4.1.1 seems to
> have bought a few undesirable "features"... :/

I just checked /boot/config-3.0.0-11-server and I guess the combination
of CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=m and xen-platform-pci.ko not being in the
initrd cause the devices to not appear. I come to this conclusion since
installing with the xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary (or 'never' does
effectively the same thing in this situation) and then changing to pv
drivers by putting xen-platform-pci, xen-blkfront and xen-netfront in
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules works (mostly, but thats a different story...).

> -Stefan
>
>>> Note, that emulated net seems still have some issues under load the last time I
>>> looked.

So the e1000 model works better? (read your inquiry about that on
xen-devel *g*)

cheers,
Mark