building a list of KVM workloads

Douglas Stanley douglas.m.stanley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 19:20:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Serge E. Hallyn
<serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At UDS it was decided we should compile a list of VM workloads we are
> interested in, define their characteristics, measure the impact of
> various tunables (drive types, caching, KSM, etc), and put out a list
> of recommendations based upon those.
>
> Myself, I mostly use KVM for testing (so, cache=none, etc).  A start
> to a list might be:
>
>     bug reproduction/distro-installer test (cache=none, throwaway)
>     guest desktop (kiosk)
>     apache server?
>     compute-intensive (UEC/openstack based distcc node?)
>
> What would your list be?

I think the shorter list would be of items I don't use VM's for :) and
that would be pretty much an empty list!
I guess the only thing I don't use vm's for...is running vm's...seriously.

I think you should have some items on the list that have stigma
attached...like "oh you can never run a db server as a vm". Bull!