Server directory

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Tue Oct 18 14:12:20 UTC 2011

I can't speak to the other questions, but I would be careful about
having your server in a data center and your clients in an office
unless you have a fairly high speed connection between the two--or you
have a second 'local' server.
Windows clients don't perform too well (at least Windows XP doesn't)
when there is no local domain controller.

We tested this situation on a network where there was a 5 Mbit/sec
link between a remote and main office with approximately 80 msec
latency.  There were 5 clients on the remote side of the link.  It was
terribly slow accessing network resources like printers, file shares,
etc...  Even when accessing local resources that involved domain
permissions it was significantly slower.  We ended up putting a local
DC at each remote site which is what Microsoft actually recommends
IIRC.

-A