VM complaining: consider bios upgrade...

Fabio T. Leitao fabio.tleitao at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 01:35:41 UTC 2011

During the Ubuntu boot, if you get to see a Grub menu (with kernel options,
etc), can you try to run the Memtest86+ option (that will automaticaly go
into a blueish program with lots of information on the several RAM tests it
will start to run... and leave it running until it says it has completed at
least 2 PASS)

If you have got some bad RAM, it will most certainly accuse (and some how,
your Linux host have not been using the faultly address recently) -
hardware do crash also... - and the message on Memtest86+ will be PRETTY
OBVIOUS (RED CAPITAL LETTERS WITH A BUNCH OF HEXADECIMAL MEMORY ADDRESSES)

If you have no bad RAM, with will also list a short 0 ERRORS somewhere in
the middled/right side of the screen

To exit the Memtest86+, anytime during the tests, just press ESC, and your
computer should reboot (and hopefully back to OS)

If you do have a faulty RAM, try removing a DIMM (that are the name of the
RAM boards) a time, and test the rest again until you are sure there ones
installed are fully operational... you might need to buy another RAM if you
do find any broken ones

2011/11/23 Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at canonical.com>

> Quoting jurgen.depicker at let.be (jurgen.depicker at let.be):
> > Dear all,
> >
> > On one of my windows Vms (KVM), I get from time to time a 'windows
> > recovered from a serious error' message, and if I click the wonderfully
> > useful (ahum) support link, I reach this page:
> >
> http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/1445/en/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=67dba5c9-dc73-4bb8-8065-512ebd1c74ac
> >
> > I quote the first part of it here:
> >
> > "Consider BIOS upgrade
> >
> > Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However,
> > this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random
> > access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer
> > uses to run programs and store data.
>
> Do you get any crashes before you see this?  Does it happen at startup?
> I wonder if perhaps qemu is not shutting down cleanly, or you are hitting
> a KSM bug, or you in fact have bad ram.
>
> > During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system
> (BIOS)
> > version on this computer does not match the specifications for the
> central
> > processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on
> > your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an
> > older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the
> > installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your
> > computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version
> > of BIOS for your computer's processor."
> >

> > Now I'm not sure what this is all about: how can I possibly upgrade my
> > VM's BIOS, or should I do something else?  Can it have something to do
> > with the processor specs in the VM's XML definition?
>
> Odd, I've never heard of this :)  Which version of windows are you using,
> and which Ubuntu release are you on?  The bios is just seabios, and should
> be tightly integrated into the qemu version, so upgrading is generally not
> recommended, but in any case upgrading seabios still wouldn't likely get
> you
> anything Microsoft would know about.
>
> -serge

Fábio Leitão