Ubuntu Server Guide - weak areas and missing pieces

Hugo Serrano hugo.serrano at javali.pt
Fri Nov 18 16:13:24 UTC 2011

On 18-11-2011 15:59, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 10:49 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
>>> The thing that I think is important is to document the upgrade path for
>>> 10.04 ->  12.04 UEC users from an Ubuntu specific UEC configuration to an
>>> upstream (consult the upstream docs) Eucalyptus configuration.  That may
>>> be as simple as explaining UEC is dead so just know when you upgrade
>>> it'll work but it's no longer called UEC or something more complex.
>> I don't feel the Guide is the place to document upgrade paths&  issues.
>>   Isn't that something that is traditionally reserved for Release Notes?
>>   Also, is it natural for us to expect people to read the new Guide
>> before upgrading?  Just my thoughts.
> I think this is a bit of a special case since the product in question
> went away in the mean time.  If they do look ahead in the server guide
> then having it just vanish as a topic doesn't seem right.
>
> There should be something in the release notes too.
>
> Scott K

I agree with Peter, but also agree with Scott. Probably a note with all
the software that it won't be supported any more.

I suggest some guide to nginx. It seems that it's starting to showing up!

Maybe it's not the right place, because it's more a service of the
Desktop Version, but the LTSP should be somewhere around too.

Best Regards!

Hugo Serrano.

--
Hugo Serrano
hugo.serrano at javali.pt

Javali
Administração e Desenvolvimento de Sistemas Informáticos, Lda.
Madan Parque
Rua dos Inventores
2825 - 182 Caparica           Portugal
Phone: +351 212957215                      Fax: +351 213620787
www.javali.pt                                   info at javali.pt