Dropped packets with bonded interface

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Nov 15 08:43:21 UTC 2011

On 15.11.2011 07:18, Albert Chin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:56:20AM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> My best guess about the dropped packages would be some that arrive
>> before being set up... (like broadcasts)
>
> But even after bond0 is configured, up, and operational, the dropped
> packets continue.

Hm, right. I see this as well. Though it seems to be quite minimal and I see a
similar number on one of the enslaved interfaces. Not adding up completely.

>> Just as a note that the recommendation for the bond-slaves option is
>> none. This is because the bond interface should get the slaves added
>> by the slave interface. Probably requiring auto lines for the
>> slaves, too (the README and examples coming with the package should
>> reflect this by now). The interface did not come up before because
>> there was not network configuration set for the bond interface.
>
> Yeah. I read through the README and made the change. However, the
> issue of bond0 not being UP and the dropped packets remain even after
> this change.

In my setup this seems to work. But I am only running in failover mode. Could be
that the problem is related to the mode. From the logs it looks like at least
the ip address is set and the interface is deemed up for bond0. But in the
bonding status the mii status is down for bond0 but up for both of the slaves...
Seems like being halfway through setup. I wonder whether ifdown -a followed by a
ifup -a always end up in the stuck case or come up...

-Stefan