KVM guests: graceful shutdown upon host reboot

jurgen.depicker at let.be jurgen.depicker at let.be
Thu May 19 14:09:23 UTC 2011

Hi all.

Today I mistakenly typed 'reboot' in the wrong terminal, which made me
remember one of my todos: take care of a graceful shutdown of all running
VM guests.  My VM host just killed all processes and rebooted, which was
not really appreciated by all running guests, as one might understand.

According to
http://serverfault.com/questions/200751/can-kvm-suspend-or-shutdown-guests-automatically-on-host-shutdown
this is taken care of already by some souls at RedHat (and Fedora) with an
init script called libvirt-guests.

On http://libvirt.org/news.html I see that it exists at least since
version 0.8.2, but on Ubuntu 11.04 (libvirt 0.8.8) it's not there. On
10.10 (0.8.3) neither, though I find some reference to it on
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/libvirt/0.8.8-1ubuntu1

Does anybody have an idea about why I cannot find this script on Ubuntu? T
seems to be in line with the policy of supporting KVM for server
virtualization (which is my use case) and it does eem to be quite
interesting to have!
Greetings, Jurgen