[Oneiric-Topic] SRU Process

Nicolas Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Thu Mar 31 10:07:45 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 04:40 PM, Chuck Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not have the statistics in front of me, but I believe most of
> users are using LTS releases of Ubuntu.

Here are the stats from the latest server survey:

10.10 (8) 1793 33.17%
10.04 LTS (7) 2880 53.28%
9.10 (6) 461 8.53%
9.04 (5) 306 5.66%
8.10 (4) 121 2.24%
8.04LTS (3) 854 15.80%
6.06LTS (1) 104 1.92%

Which confirms you point: 71% of our user base is on an LTS.

> The policy of cherrypicking
> fixes from the development releases does not scale in my opinon. We
> should offer PPAs for users who want to use a new version of for
> example Apache. Or go through the list of packages we support and see
> if we can get it to qualify as a micro release update.

Strongly agree on this point if we focus on stable release for a list of
specified packages (defining this list should be our first task). I
would suggest that our commitment should be the same as for point
releases: for the list of packages, stable releases would be made
available until the next LTS, on PPA per stable release.  The PPA usage
would, I think, ensure that people do not upgrade to a major new version
without knowing it.

Nick