11.10 Ubuntu Server Call for Topics
robbie at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 30 04:43:07 UTC 2011
This is the call for discussion about Ubuntu Server planning for the
11.10 cycle. Here's the process I'd like to use:
1. Send a call for topics from the Ubuntu Server community (this is it)
2. Have an exchange over irc and email on the ubuntu-server
channel/mailing list to discuss the requirements in depth
3. Produce a resulting UDS plan which summarizes the topics going
into UDS, and feeds into blueprints
4. Provide a final roadmap post-UDS
Note that I will be coordinating the collection of all requirements for
Ubuntu Server, regardless of the team implementing the requirement. Here
is the schedule with some details.
= March 29th: Request for Topics =
This email is the request for topics. Please send topics that you would
like the Ubuntu Server team to consider for this cycle to the
**ubuntu-server** mailing list  with "[Oneiric-Topic]" in the subject
line. These are not specific requirements, but high-level ideas or concepts.
Though we will want hear about all of your needs, while compiling
requirements, it may be useful to keep in mind that some requirements
are easier for us to fulfill than others, e.g.
* Choosing specific versions of upstream packages or applications
* Choosing specific applications to deliver by default
* Getting packages into Universe or Main
* Writing modest glue code to enable new scenarios or to integrate
functionality from different packages
* Moving code that you (or someone else) already wrote or are going to
write into the distro
* Integrating patches from upstream bug trackers or similar
* Enhancing projects for which we are upstream (cloud-init, apport,
= April 4th through April 15th - Requirements discussions held =
We will discuss topics in the ubuntu-server irc channel and mailing
list. The goal will be to identify and document specific requirements.
= April 18th through April 29th - Getty Natty out! =
= May 2nd - UDS Oneiric Topics Review =
The week before UDS Oneiric we will present a plan. This is essentially
a review of what topics we have planned for further discussion at UDS.
= May 9th through May 13th - UDS =
= Approximately two weeks post UDS - Oneiric Plan Review =
About two weeks after UDS, we will revise the UDS Oneiric Plan to
capture what was actually decided as the plan of record at UDS, and
present that information. This info will be placed in the Roadmap
section  of the Ubuntu Server wiki.
Thanks all. I am looking forward to hearing your ideas!
Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com>
"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)
More information about the ubuntu-server