how do web hosting companies give ssh and root to so many users.

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:24:42 UTC 2011

So if some one has to host 100 million websites and if 10 million asks
then the web hosting company has these 10 million IP addresses?
If yes who gives them so many IP addresses?
I may sound stupid but I read that IPv4 have finished.A long long time
back (approx 10 years back) I had asked one of my friend to install
Apache at his home computer and from a geographically distant location
I was able to see his thing as http://<Ip of my friend>
and things were working.

But I do not see the same thing these days if I have an ADSL router or
DSL line then I am not having any clue as why am I unreachable with
same way given that ISP  did not blocked any thing.So I believe the
ISP might be giving some sort of abstraction for such things.If that
being the case how does it work for a web hosting company and where do
they buy these IPs from and how much they pay for it?

Regards
Abhi