virsh editor

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at zoet.de
Tue Mar 1 13:48:28 UTC 2011

Am Di, 1.03.2011, 14:36 schrieb jurgen.depicker at let.be:
> Hi guys;

Hi,

> I have a small question: whenever I fire up virsh and want to edit a
> domain, it launches vi and I would like it to be nano.  Although i
> configured .bashrc to contain EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano  and
> VISUAL=/usr/bin/nano , virsh seems not to care.  So I need to launch
> 'EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano virsh' to get my wish fulfilled.  What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> I asked this question on #ubuntu-virt, but noone seems to post anything
> there except uvirtbot auto-messages about new bugs being posted on
> launchpad...

This has nothing to do with virsh! Just run

update-alternatives --all

and you can set for a lot of things the default programs. You can even
give the exact group name for your problem if you know the name for it. (I
do not know this ;-) so I can not tell you). See "man update-alternatives"
for much much much more info.

Another way to solve your problem would be to setup an alias in your
.bashrc file:

alias virsh='EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano virsh'

And as it is Unix/linux there are millions of other ways to solve this :-).

Michael