Proposal for a Remote Desktop Server.

Marcelo Boveto Shima marceloshima at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:57:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 08:46 AM, Marcelo Boveto Shima wrote:
>> If x2go is the choice for Ubuntu, I have no problem with it, but
>> I think it is important to add support for managing remote desktops
>> technologies in the core of the session manager. That is the solution I'm
>> proposing. The solution will involve lightdm developers and can be started
>> now and be stable for Ubuntu 12.04 lts release.
> Just for the record, anything involving lightdm development should go
> through the Desktop team, specifically Robert Ancell.

Yes, the final word is from the lightdm developers. But the blueprint
is from the ubuntu-server so I was talking to them first.

Ubuntu Server Team decided to use x2go.
I was asking them to promote the idea of adding remote destkop feature
to lightdm.

By the way as I am replying to Robert Ancel too. From LightDM list:

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com:
>> Is there time now to consider the inclusion of some of the more offbeat use
>> cases?
>> 1: Headless(no monitor, keyboard, or monitor)
>
>Works now.
>
>> 2: True headless(no video card) but Xvfb.
>
>Pass, I guess if X supports it?  Bryce is probably the right person to
>know this one.

Basically what we need for remote desktop is those 2 features and
a way for the greeter to talk to the X server (Xvfb, nxagent, Xrdp, Xvnc,
etc).

NX greeter <-> lightdm <-> nxagent

RDP greeter <-> lightdm <-> Xrdp

I my opinion this is excellent way to promote lightdm.

If Robert is interested in helping the discussion should continue in the
LightDM list.

Regards.
Marcelo