Proposal for a Remote Desktop Server.

Marcelo Boveto Shima marceloshima at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:31:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Scott Moser <smoser at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Marcelo Boveto Shima wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Scott Moser <smoser at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Marcelo Shima wrote:
>> >

>> X2goagent changes the output s/nxagent/x2goagent. This will break
>> FreeNX, but it is a reason that can be ignored since freenx is not in the
>> repository.
>
> I'd think that we could fix freenx, right?  I'd say we should.

Really? FreeNX is not broken to be fixed. Just keep it outside of
repository. I think it is a waste of time porting it to x2goagent.

> Fyi, there are a few changes I made to a freenx-server in a ppa at
> https://launchpad.net/~awstrial-dev/+archive/nx/+packages .
>
> The patches are in debian/patches, and affect
>  - handling of '=' (and other characters) in the CMDLINE.
>  - zenity support to nxdialog.
>  - kind of hacky:
>   add "endsession hooks" (when user closes window and selects
>   'terminate', a runparts will be done on a certain directory).

Please I can assign ubuntu-server or awstrial-dev as owner of the
freenx-team and then just upload to the freenx-team instead of
create a new ppa from another team.

That been said, I've already included those patches and took another
snapshot from:
http://git.altlinux.org/people/boris/packages/?p=freenx-server.git;a=summary
They are actively maintaining the freenx-server.

All these changes are in the freenx-team ppa now.
And I also fixed the problem that the session was taking a long time to
start. So the awstrial-dev team can consider to update the nx-x11 package
the the new 3.5.0

>> I tried for 2 times the MOTU process, nxcompshad was accepted but
>> no nx-x11/nxagent, no nxcomp, no nxcompext nor freenx. And I must
>> say that nxcomp and nxcompext packages uploaded to the repository
>> last month are almost identical to the packages from freenx-team ppa.
>> So the work was just redone.
>>
>> These were just rants. I needed to do that =).
>
> Well, luckily stgraber is pushing on that now, so we may get *something*
> into the archive.  Thank you for your work in the past, I've used it and I
> know that many others have.

Thanks.

>> http://spice-space.org/page/Features/XSpice
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~alon/xspice
>
> Awesome to see that work is being done there.
>

>> XSpice is a xf86-video-qxl driver fork, so just execute Xorg with an
>> xorg.conf using it.
>> The best thing about it is that Spice is not an xorg 6.9 rc(something) fork.
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~alon/xspice/tree/README.xspice?h=xspice.v4
>
> Yeah, that is *huge*.
>
>> For the future I want a Spice greeter for lightdm. =)
>>
>> If x2go is the choice for Ubuntu, I have no problem with it, but
>> I think it is important to add support for managing remote desktops
>> technologies in the core of the session manager. That is the solution I'm
>> proposing. The solution will involve lightdm developers and can be started
>> now and be stable for Ubuntu 12.04 lts release.
>
> I think that would be great, and people would be open to accepting such
> work.  I would suggest filing a blueprint, you can copy me.  If you're
> willing to do all the work, then there shouldn't be any real issue.
>
> Scott

Ok then. basically you are saying is "It's a good idea and you are
free to do it.
It is open source. The bureaucracy is just to ensure the quality. And don't
forget to sign the contributor agreement (I've already signed)". =)

As I say I am willing to help. Sorry but I will not waste my time on this
without some support from the developers.

Regards

Marcelo