Proposal for a Remote Desktop Server.

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 2 02:19:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Marcelo Shima wrote:

Please send plaintext responses. Your comments are very difficult to find
in a text only reader.

> As far as I know x2goagent is just visual patches too.
> No bug fixes, no features, no api changes.

So why would you be so opposed to using that as an upstream?  Anything
other than just avoiding unnecessary duplication? That is obviously a
perfectly valid reason, I'm just curious if you had others.

>> Just as an fyi, one thing that was considered was the fact that NoMachine
>> may not be a long term sustainable upstream for NX.  From
>> http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=331, see:
>>  | This release marks an important milestone in the history of the
>>  | company.  Version 4 of the software, in fact, will be only available
>>  | under a closed source license.
>
> I am aware of it.
> Spice seems the best alternative for the future.

I will admit to not being terribly familiar with Spice, but the two things
that kept me from considering it a completely useful solution were
a.) It seems that it is only a solution for virtual machines (ie, running
under kvm.
  We need a solution that would work with "bare metal", lxc or inside of
an EC2 instance (xen guest where Amazon controls the host).
b.) it seems more focused on "virtual desktop" than "remote desktop".
  By that I mean more "low latency, high bandwidth network", than "high
bandwidth [relatively] high latency".

I could be wrong on either of those points, and obviously work could be
done to address them.